In accordance with the Guidelines for Federal and ACT Government World Wide Websites issued by the Australian Privacy Commissioner, the Department of Social Services provides the following privacy statements.
Site Visit Data
- This site is operated by the Department of Social Services through an external service provider.
- Whenever you visit this website, our internet service provider makes a record of your visit and logs the following information for statistical purposes:
- your server address;
- the date and time of your visit to the site;
- the pages you accessed and documents downloaded;
- the previous site you have visited; and
- the type of browser you are using.
- This information does not identify you personally and you remain anonymous. Analysis of this information assists with the improvement of this site.
- No attempt will be made to identify users or their browsing activities except in the unlikely event of an investigation of abuse or a security incident. The data will not be disclosed to any external agencies except in the case where a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect the department's logs.
- External sites that are linked to or from the department's internet site are not under our control and you are advised to review their privacy statement.
Collection of Personal Information
- The staff who operate the Department of Social Services site are subject to the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988. This Act lays down strict privacy safeguards which Commonwealth Government departments and agencies must observe in handling personal information. More information about the Privacy Act can be obtained from the Privacy Commissioners web site.
- We will only use your e-mail address for the purpose for which you have provided it. We will not use your e-mail address for any other purpose, and will not disclose it, without your consent.
- If we ask you for any other personal information we will tell you how we intend to use that personal information if you choose to give it to us. If at any time you believe we have not adhered to the principles referred to in this privacy statement or have any other comments on these principles, please contact us.
Security of Information
- Your personal information is protected under the confidentiality and secrecy provisions contained within social security, disability, child support and family assistance law. These laws prohibit any person from accessing, using or disclosing any personal information in the possession of the Department of Social Services except when performing their duties in accordance with these laws or in specific situations permitted by the law. Your personal information will not be made available to any person or agency unless the law permits or your permission is given. Penalties apply to those who fail to observe these provisions.
- Before you consider transmitting any confidential information over the internet, you should first contact the Department of Social Services to seek its agreement to the application of the 'confidential' classification to the information you wish to provide. When agrees to treat your personal information as 'confidential' it will receive the appropriate level of security.
- While the Department of Social Services endeavours to provide a secure Internet environment, please note that the privacy of your personal information cannot be guaranteed if you choose to transmit that information over the Internet.
- If you do not wish to contact the Department of Social Services via the Internet, the Department of Social Services provides alternative ways to obtain and provide information. Please contact the Department of Social Services by telephone or post if you have concerns about the security of your email message. When you telephone the department, you can request access to the Department of Social Services facsimile numbers.
Department of Social Services
GPO Box 9820
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Telephone: 1300 653 227