The Australian Government has today announced 33 conference organisers will share in $315,000 in funding to maximise the inclusion and participation of people with disability.
Each conference organiser will receive a grant of up to $10,000 to support participation at disability-related conferences in 2022-23.
Minister for Social Services, the Hon Amanda Rishworth MP, said this funding, provided under the longstanding National Disability Conference Initiative, is just one of the tangible deliverables under the Australia’s Disability Strategy 2021-2031.
“We want to ensure Australians with disability are provided with greater opportunities to take part in all areas of Australian life, including forums and conferences looking at issues affecting them,” Minister Rishworth said.
“It is critical people with disability are at the centre of these discussions and have the opportunity to contribute to the conversations that affect their lives. These grants will ensure people with disability and their carers are able to have a voice at disability-related conferences that might otherwise be inaccessible to them.”
The conferences will cover a range of important topics from disability awareness to issues of inclusion.
The funding can be used by conference organisers to assist people with disability and their carers with travel, accommodation and other costs, or for creating accessible supports for participation such as assistive devices and software, Auslan interpreters or technology for remote access.
Minister Rishworth said the grants underline the Government’s vision for an inclusive Australian society that ensures people with disability can fulfil their potential, as equal members of the community.
“This grant funding is one way the Government is ensuring people with disability have their seat at the table,” Minister Rishworth said.
The successful applicants were determined through an open, competitive grant round that closed on 1 February 2022.
The 33 organisations receiving grants are:
- Limbs4Life Inc.
- The University of Melbourne
- OZeWAI Inc.
- Australian Rehabilitation and Assistive Technology Association Incorporated
- The Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health
- Short Statured People of Australia Incorporated
- Blind Citizens Australia
- Metabolic Dietary Disorders Association Inc.
- Disability Employment Australia
- Round Table on Information Access for People with Print Disabilities Incorporate
New South Wales
- Autism Step Australia Pty Ltd
- Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) Alliance Ltd
- Albinism Fellowship of Australia Incorporated
- Tuberous Sclerosis Australia Incorporated
- Australian Mitochondrial Disease Foundation Limited
- One Community Pty Ltd
- Collappor8 Pty Ltd
- Plumtree Children's Services
- Reframing Autism Ltd
- Canterbury Bankstown Chamber of Commerce Inc
- Victim Support Service Incorporated
- South Australian Council on Intellectual Disability Incorporated
- Arts Access Australia
- Spectrum Space Inc.
- Central Queensland University
- White Box Enterprises Ltd
- Animal Therapies Ltd
- Autism CRC Ltd
- Speak Out Association of Tasmania Incorporated
- Australasian Society for Intellectual Disability Ltd
Australian Capital Territory
- GetAboutAble Pty Ltd
- Australian Talented Youth Project Inc.
- Motor Neurone Disease Australia Inc.