Minister for Families and Social Services Anne Ruston today announced that an additional 875 sites including churches, schools and community groups are now covered by the National Redress Scheme.
The latest declarations include a series of institutions and sites falling under the Anglican Church and the Baptist Union of Victoria as well as nine additional non-government organisations.
To date the Commonwealth, all state and territory governments and 56 non-government organisations covering more than 40,800 sites such as churches, schools, homes, charities and community groups across Australia that have now joined the Scheme.
“I am encouraged that these additional institutions are doing the right thing by survivors and completing the steps to join the National Redress Scheme,” Minister Ruston said.
“Today’s announcement means that applications from survivors which name these institutions and sites can begin to be processed.
“I urge other institutions to join quickly to allow survivors access to the support they are owed as soon as possible.”
The non-government institutions who joined the Scheme are:
- The Order of the Sisters of the Presentation in Queensland
- The Cistercian Order of the Strict Observance
- The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-day Saints
- The Armidale School
- Sisters of the Good Shepherd
- The Friends’ School
- The Churches of Christ in Queensland
- Franciscan Friars
The Anglican institutions who joined the Scheme are:
- Anglican Church Property Trust Diocese of Sydney
- Church Missionary Society – Queensland with Northern NSW
- Church Missionary Society – Tasmania Incorporated
- Church Missionary Society – Western Australia Incorporated
- Glebe Administration Board
- The Illawarra Grammar School
- Sydney Diocesan Services
- St Andrew’s Cathedral Gawura School
- The Council of St Andrew’s Cathedral School
- The Council of Trinity Grammar School
- Calrossy Anglican School
- Christ Church Grammar School Incorporated
- Perth College Incorporated
- St Hilda’s Anglican School for Girls Incorporated
- St Mary’s Anglican Girls’ School
- The Council of Barker College
- Guilford Grammar School Incorporated
- Meriden School
- St Bartholomew’s House Incorporated
- The Council of St. Catherine’s School, Waverley
- The Anglican Church of Australia Collegiate School of Saint Peter (trading as St Peter’s College)
The additional institutions joining the Baptist Union of Victoria participating group are:
- Benalla Baptist Church
- East Doncaster Baptist Church
- Melton Baptist Church
- Moonee Ponds Baptist Church
- Narre Warren Baptist Church
- Hampton Park Baptist Church
- Heartland Baptist Church
- Ivanhoe Baptist Church
- Ballarat North Baptist Church
- City Baptist Church
For more information including a searchable list of the local sites that have joined the Scheme and support services to help people apply for redress, visit www.nationalredress.gov.au.